The latest pictures of 'Greedy' the 'Aberdeen Angus' bull calf and the barley we set in Spring. The bull calf seems to grow some more every day. Dairy cross cattle prices are still very poor and they are only making a Euro a Kilogram. Apparently there is hardly any boats going to Libya.. at the moment. All depressing news for the farmer. At least we have the test cricket to watch. Good old England. It was wonderful to hear 'Jerusalem' being played. Don't make me so nervous again this week please!
The sales rep from whom we bought the barley seed, came to inspect the it the other day. He said the visit was completely FREE of charge, because we purchased the seed from his company. We talked about weeds and how we should really have sprayed the ground with glyphosate first before seeding. Any road there's a few weeds growing in the barley but we can live with that can't we?
The sales rep informed us that the barley needs to be cut and baled this week into silage. This puts the 'cat among the pigeons'. Any body for an idiom? The field needs cutting before the other silage is ready. Such is life.
We are having a five Euros wager apiece to guess how many bales we get from about an acre? I have gone for 8 bales of barley and grass. I feel like that old music hall joke:
A man is in a train carriage with a basket full of pigeons. He says to the other passengers:
"If you can guess how many pigeons I have in this basket. I'll give you the six of them."
Well it made me laugh. The first thousand times I heard it.
So what do you reckon folks? How many bales will we get when we cut it at the weekend?

0 Yorumlar